Saturday, April 10, 2010

What is a Green Smoothie?

A green smoothie is simply leafy greens and fruit blended together. Go to www.greensmoothiegirl.com, scroll down and watch a video on how to make one. There are also 3 pages of videos under the videos tab at the top right of the page.

This is how I make my smoothies in a 5 cup blender:
2 cups water
2 Tbsp Flax Oil
*1-3 Tbsp Coconut Oil

Any combination of leafy greens:
Kale, Purple Kale, Collards, Spinach, Red Chard, Bok Choy, any other dark leafy green
(I also include the stems on most of these)
Blend until smooth and fills to about the 3 cup line or higher. I usually fill the blender to the top with greens about 2 times to achieve this.

Add Fruit of your choice:
Bananas, strawberries, mango, blueberries, apples, pears, raspberries, blackberries, goji berries...
(I find adding a banana to my smoothie makes it more creamy)
Blend until smooth.

Easy way to drink the smoothie is with a straw. Smoothies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. I sometimes add supplements to my smoothies such as protein powder, brewers yeast (contains vitamin B12), or bee pollen. Take smoothies to work for a healthy snack or lunch. When you first start drinking green smoothies you may also experience detox symptoms which I will discuss in another post.

*If you are using coconut oil for the first time and do not have a good diet, I would recommend starting with 1 Tbsp a day and gradually increase, as you may experience a cleansing reaction if you start with too much.

No comments: