Friday, April 9, 2010

The Hidden Beauties of Coconut Oil

One of my latest, or Sammy's latest, discoveries is coconut oil. Hold on, because these findings are going to blow you away. My friend Sam told me about this healthy substitute for butter, vegetable oil, margarine, shortening, etc., because as she was researching it, she came across the news that coconut oil helps treat hypoglycemia, hyperthyroidism, candida, parasites, viruses, and colon cancer. The words jumped off the monitor at her and screamed "Katie! Katie needs to know this!" She apologized to me in advance, explaining that she didn't want to tell me how to eat, but she just had to share what she'd found. That's what friends are for, right? I would've been mad at her if she hadn't told me about coconut oil.


So what's the big deal about this stuff? A lot. Coconut oil has anti-viral properties because it is about 50% lauric acid, which is a major component of mothers' breast milk to help fight infection while babies' immune systems are still developing. Dr. Mary Enig, a Ph.D. nutritionist/biochemist and an expert on fats and oils says, "Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid," (quote found at Alternative Healthzine).


Coconut oil is also the leading oil for weight loss, and it helps the body balance the thyroid. Read more about coconut oil's health benefits by going to Coconut-Info.comAdvance Health and also Green Smoothie Girl. Do some of your own research too and see if you can't find a reason to give coconut oil a try to feel healthier and treat your body better.


So although coconut oil is one of my hot new discoveries, I have yet to try it! I've been dying to get my hands on some, and as luck would have it, the gallon of coconut oil I ordered 5 whole days ago just arrived on my front porch. Who's ready for a batch of kettle corn or some sauteed zucchini. Yum! The only problem, the lid is sealed like the top of a frozen juice can and my fingers can't grip it and pull. So I must wait till another pair of hands comes home. My positive thinking says that by the time I go through this whole gallon of coconut oil and receive the next one in the mail, my arthritis will be next to nothing and my hands will be strong enough to open the lid without the help of no one. I know these are lofty goals.


P.S.– Make sure you get virgin cold press/unrefined coconut oil. That's the best. I bought mine from Mountain Rose Herbs because I'd heard that they sell the cheapest high-quality coconut oil around. Let me know if you find otherwise.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I've been doing green smoothies now for 2 weeks and LOVE it! I generally eat pretty healthy, but have loved knowing up loading up on greens first thing in the morning. Thanks Sam for introducing me! I've lost 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks....13 to go to get back to pre baby weight. Better go drink my lunch smoothie!