Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Something in the Green

Last night I was at the library working on homework when I realized I wasn't tired. It was 8 o'clock and for the first time in months I wasn't ready to crash! I was shocked. And then it gets even better. This morning I woke up on my own at 7:30 a.m. I beat my alarm, and I didn't feel like a zombie! This is HUGE. But this is only the beginning.

Maybe I should attribute the added energy to nerves and stress and pending work deadlines, but I'm not going to. I really think there's something in all that green I've been eating. It's been exactly one week since I started the green smoothies, and I'm never going back. That was an easy decision to make. There's no question I'm on my way to healthy.

Today's smoothie wasn't too extravagant, but it went as follows:

1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon coconut oil
7 strawberries
1/4 banana
2 handfuls spinach
1 handful ice cubes

1 1/2 scoops Nikken protein powder

Blend all ingredients together except for the protein powder. If you're using a Blentec, press the SMOOTHIE button. When the cycle has ended, add the protein powder and hold down PULSE for 5 seconds.

Tomorrow's smoothie will most likely include kale, peaches, and kiwi fruit. The rest of my breakfast will be a stack of wheat-free and dairy-free pancakes, thanks to Bob's Red Mill (and my dear mother who bought me the mix).

No comments: