Monday, January 9, 2012

Rosemary & Garlic Roasted Vegetables

On my drive home tonight I got a text from Sam saying, "I just made the best dinner ever, and it was sooo easy! I roasted onions, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, green onions whole, and sliced oranges mixed with olive oil, salt & pepper, and fresh rosemary in the oven." I was starving and this did sound amazing, so even though I wasn't going to get home till 8pm, I knew I wanted to make it tonight. I called Sam to get the details and on the way home ended up mentally creating my own rendition with what I knew was in my fridge. I miraculously had fresh rosemary too and thought I had green onions, but those have mysteriously disappeared. Get creative and add your favorite vegetables.

You know a recipe is to die for when your cute grandma tries it and says, "I don't feel sorry for you anymore." She'd been feeling bad for me on Sunday when I told her I don't eat canned vegetables. She said, "These are way better than canned vegetables!" Here's what Grandma was raving about:

Olive oil
Coconut oil
5 cloves garlic, chopped and separated
2 cups baby carrots, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped into large sections, separated
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, separated
2 large beets, sliced thin
1 orange, sliced and separated
About 1/8 head purple cabbage, chopped into medium-size pieces
2 handfuls fresh kale, torn into bite-size pieces
Sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Coat the bottom of a glass casserole dish with olive oil. Coat the bottom of another glass dish (or whatever baking dish you have) with coconut oil. I used both oils for variety, but use what you have. In the olive oil I put 4 cloves of garlic and in the coconut oil I put 2 cloves, mostly because the second dish was smaller than the first. In the olive oil I then added the carrots, most of the onion, 1 sprig of rosemary, half the orange slices, and salt. In the coconut oil I then added the beets, a little bit of onion, 1 sprig of rosemary, half the orange slices, and salt. I separated the beets to keep the purple from dying the rest of the veggies.

Bake both dishes at the same time for 40 minutes total. After the first 20 minutes, remove the beet dish and add the cabbage. Mix well and put back in oven. Then 10 minutes later remove carrot dish and add kale. Mix well and put back in oven for final 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.

It's 10pm now and I'm exhausted, but it was worth taking the time to cook this gourmet dish, especially because now I have lunch for tomorrow! Enjoy!

No comments: