Friday, January 6, 2012

Mother Nature's Pharmacy


Last month I was introduced to essential oils! I have always wanted to learn about and use them, but it wasn't until Katie sent me a link to a mini essential oil kit that I finally jumped in. I have been amazed at how much they can do!

What are essential oils?

Essential oils are extracted from plant sources through steam distillation and are highly concentrated.  Their chemical makeup is complex but with vast benefits.

What can I use them for?

What CAN'T you use them for? They can be used in aromatherapy, massage therapy, emotional health, personal care, as nutritional supplements, household solutions, and can be used in healing our bodies from various diseases and ailments. They can also be used on pets. Can you believe there are oils that can stop bleeding? Essential oils are better than a modern first aid kit!

How long have they been around?

Research dates the use of essential oils back to 4500 B.C. Ancient Egyptians were the first to discover their fragrance and used them in treating illnesses and performing rituals. Three oils they used back then are still used today which are cedarwood, myrrh, and frankincense. Since then they have been reintroduced into modern medicine since the 18th and 19th centuries and have been used traditionally to kill harmful germs, as well as spiritually to balance mood, lift spirits, and dispel negative emotions.

I will be sharing more about essential oils, I am learning so much and am excited to share! 

No comments: