Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Skinny Muffin—as seen on Dr. Oz


If you're looking for a fast, easy, and healthy breakfast, here's Jorge's Skinny Muffin as part of his "lose 80 pounds belly fat" diet. This muffin is gluten free, dairy free, and vegetarian, and it's oh-so good. Who knew flax seed would make such an amazing flour! This muffin is light and fluffy, unlike any gluten-free recipe I've tried.

The recipe you see below is after a little tweaking on my part. My first attempt at the recipe created a muffin that was too bland and too dry for my liking, so I experimented with adding apple sauce and then some banana, along with some more stevia. See what you think about my changes and feel free to do your own tweaking.

Serves one

1 teaspoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons mashed banana
1 cage-free egg
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 packets stevia (I'd avoid the Steviva brand. I personally am repulsed by the taste.)
2 tablespoons blueberries


1. Put coconut oil and banana in a coffee mug and pop in the microwave for about 15 seconds, or till coconut oil is melted. 
2. Add egg to mug and beat. 
3. Add the rest of the ingredients except the blueberries. Stir well. 
4. Now add blueberries, mixing without crushing the berries. 
5. Microwave 60 seconds. 
6. Remove mug from microwave and turn upside down over a plate to let muffin fall out. And, literally, it slips right out! 
7. Cut muffin in half and spread coconut oil over top. Add honey if you'd like it a little sweeter. ¡Buen provecho!


3 comments:

Vee said...

Can you find this, said, ground flax seed at the store or do you grind it yourself? You probably have some sort of Mega Machine that will grind stones for Stone Soup, so I was just wondering. 8)

Please Pass the Green said...

How did you know I have a stone grinder (a.k.a. BlendTech)?:) Yes, I do grind my own flax seed, but you can buy it already-ground at a health food store. Look for "flax seed meal." Some flax seeds are brown and some are golden. I use both, and they are equally good for you.

PS: Flax seeds grind very easily, so I think you could grind them up in your regular blender just fine. Although I know you want a good excuse to get a BlendTech.

Shane, Meg, CJ, RJ, and AL said...

Love this recipe! Thanks for teaching me how to make skinny muffins. Enjoyed one this morning for breakfast!