Thursday, July 8, 2010

Experimenting with Green Smoothies

I tried something a little different yesterday for my green smoothie, I purchased dino kale, green chard, and papaya for the first time. I like to mix it up now and then and add some variety. I usually put in frozen fruit but this time everything was fresh and made for a very yummy smoothie!

Greens:
Dino Kale
Purple Kale
Green Chard

Fruits:
Papaya (seeds and skin included)
Raspberries
Peaches
Strawberries
Banana

*I also threw in some sunflower seeds I sprouted.

1 comment:

Please Pass the Green said...

Sounds yummy, Sam! I'm impressed you found a good papaya. You just inspired me to be on the lookout. Papaya seeds are particularly amazing at strengthening your immune system, so, like Sam, include those seeds in your smoothie. When I lived in Venezuela and got really sick, I would swollow a spoonful of the seeds each day. The seeds look and smell like rabbit droppings, but no big deal, right? You do what you gotta do.

Since we're on the topic of green smoothies, I thought I'd share what I'm drinking at this very moment, because I think I found my new favorite ingredient: ginger root.

(Makes about 4 cups)
1 cup water
1 nectarine
2 handfuls of grapes
2 tangerines
1 large spoonful of coconut oil
a little flax seed oil
1 small piece of ginger root, about the size of half a domino
2 large handfuls of spinach
2 or 3 handfuls of ice
2 scoops hemp protein powder

I'm loving this hint of ginger!